Saturday, October 24, 2009

Week 8 Readings

W3schools HTML Tutorial

This website provides an HTML tutorial with examples and allows you to practice using HTML. I like that something like this is avaliable, as I was rather nervous about assignment 6 and using HTML for the first time. It asks questions and gives the examples in an easy to read manner, with small chunks that would allow someone to learn a their own pace and not get to bogged down too early. I believe that this will be a useful page to come to when I need to use HTML.

HTML Cheatsheet

This looks to be the code for doing various things in HTML, like a glossary. I really like this, if you need to do something basic, just go here and have that part done for you. It's kind of like prepackaged food, and I can't cook so thing like this are great.

W3 School Cascading Style Sheet Tutorial:
Like the above W3 site, this one provides a great introduction to CSS. I like how this will do most of the style work for you. If you find one you like, using a CSS will save time and money, which in a business situation will be critical. Again this has areas where you can try it yourself, allowing both practice and theory, which will allow for greater understanding.

Beyond HTML: Developing and re-imagining library web guides in a content management system

This article deals with GSU and their library webpage. It started as a mash-up of different styles and fonts, done by different people at different times. This made it difficult to navigate. They hired a special librarian to basically fix the system by using a CMS. My first thought was why did they not have a basic template in place at the beginning? It would seem easier to than letting everyone go all crazy and then having to fix it at a later date and increased cost.

6 comments:

  1. "It's kind of like prepackaged food, and I can't cook so thing like this are great."

    Haha, that's great! I really liked the HTML cheat sheet too. It seems like a really easy guide to have handy at a quick glance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I found the HTML guides really helpful. I used to have to use HTML all the time because the websites I was using didn't provide a rich text editor but now a lot of them do, so I don't have as much opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the situation described at the beginning of the GSU article. But apparently, university library websites are notoriously difficult to navigate and change often. Take dear PittCat+ for example. I know a lot of staff librarians that don't even bother with it and go straight to PittCat Classic for anything they need. I once asked one if she thought she would ever take the time to learn to use it, she said "Why bother? It'll change in a couple months anyway."

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part about the html and css websites were the fact that you could experiment in their "try it yourself" pages without consequences. I think the css tutorial will come in very handy when designing library home pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm nervous about assignment 6 as well. It will be nice to have websites like the HTML tutorial handy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "My first thought was why did they not have a basic template in place at the beginning? It would seem easier to than letting everyone go all crazy and then having to fix it at a later date and increased cost."

    I hadn't thought of it like this, but it's a really good point.

    ReplyDelete