Friday, September 25, 2009

Week Five Readings

Data Compression Wikipedia

I can see the usefulness of data compression. It would make it easier to send large amounts of data without having to send them full size. I didn't know exactly how the process worked before, so it was interesting to have that explained. I can see how librarians would want to use lossless compression to keep the compressed file as close to the original as possible. I have used zip data compression before.

Data Compression Basics
This goes into a very technical, very through description of how compression works. I like how it includes examples so you can see the how this plays out in the actual doing- not just a bunch of description on a page. It does tend to get a bit technical and I found myself getting confused about all the different compressions. I understand the basics, but when it gets really mathy- then I start to not understand.

Imaging Pittsburgh
The project has an admirable goal: to make a large amount of photographs avaliable to the public in a way that has never been done before. The photos are a great way to look into the past, printed words can pale in comparison to visual representation. In this article, several class topics come into play, such as metadata, digitization and compression. I enjoyed seeing how a project uses the concepts we are learning. It makes the topics seem more important than before.

Youtube and libraries.
I think that this article presents a good point. Libraries need to adapt and use more technologies in order to stay relevant. That means using technologies that are popular to reach new audiences. By creating videos about your services it makes it easier for the information to get out. Also you don't have the embarrassment of having to ask.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the "Imaging Pittsburgh" article making the material seem more real and more applicable to archiving. It made me, to use a cliche, see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comments about the youtube article, but I think the author failed to address a significant point. People don't use new features because they're new, just because a library has a youtube video does not automatically make it cool and relevant. Libraries need to use things like youtube to enhance their services in ways people actually will use, otherwise it's just unsuccessful pandering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your posting on the youtube article. I agree that sometimes people are to embarrassed to ask questions. It is hard to address their needs if they do not ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too I think "imaging Pittsburgh" project is a very good idea for keeping a history a life. I think it is nice to see pictures sometime instead of reading books about history. Moreover, picture can show details such as clothes color, people gesture and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agreed about the data compression basics article - I was good until they got super technical on me and then they lost me.

    I also agree (as others have said) about your assessment of the "Imaging Pittsburgh" site. It is a nice way of seeing what we're learning being put into a concrete example that really does have a lot going for it.

    ReplyDelete