Sunday, September 6, 2009

Week Two Readings

Computer Hardware wiki

I found this to a be great source for someone like me who is less than familiar with the internal workings of a computer. I especially found the picture a great reference, letting me know just where and how all the various components interact with each other. I also took grat interest in the various outdated parts, mostly in data storage. Does anyone remember when Zip drives were the coolest thing around and we carried them in our Old Navy khakis?

Moore's Law (I'm going to try something different just to see how it works)
- The point of rapidly increasing memory brings me back to an article I read a few years ago about how storage will become so avaliable that we would literally be able to capture everything that happens to us.
- Decreasing cost: I remember when my 1 gig flash drive was $70 on sale, now they give them away with breakfast cereal. Also my $400 Ipod of 2005 and my new physically smaller Ipod of this summer with the cost of $200
-On the whole I find this article confusing. The problem is that wikis are usually updated by those who have a great interest in what they are writing on, and therefore it can be somewhat more difficult for those of us laymen to get the gist of the articles.
-The video was much more informative, it cut the excess and got to the heart of the matter quickly.
- I got to thinking that as we get more and more transistors on a chip how powerful and small technology will become and the problems associated with it. For example cheating in the classroom.

Computer History Museum:
- Just a quick look at the sight shows us how far we have come.
- Everything has become smaller and much more powerful
- People were willing to take chances which payed off big.
- The internet is not even 20 years old, yet it seems like we have always had it, at least to me. I cannot imagine a life where I could not consult the internet for information.
- I was shocked at how video games were not really represented, as they were a huge impact and may have been the first computers in many people's homes. I know my older siblings had a Atari 2600 that I remember when I was young.
- Advertising shows how the computer has become marketed to a wider and wider audience.

2 comments:

  1. I like the online computer history museum too. And I think it is so important to have museum just for technology and computer. In the future our children and people who will come after us will need to look at all these pictures; and see how technologies changes during time. and as you siad they will see how everything has become smaller and much more powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on Moore's Law. That wikipedia article just confused me to no end, but the video cleared things up. Although it still doesn't explain the need for Moore's Law. As for the better technology = decreasing cost, I remember in high school when one kid had an iPod and it was just the coolest thing ever, and now it's like you said they give those away as toys in Happy Meals.

    ReplyDelete