Friday, September 18, 2009

Week Four Readings

Database Wikipedia
- Alot of technical terms that are confusing, I am unsure of what it means to have a schema.
- Dante's Informational principal
- Most databases are relational- this is in tune with what I have experienced.
- Different types of databases require different things
- I'm looking at the databases and seeing which ones I have used in the past.
-Librarians will use databases alot in the coming years.

Metadata
I can see the point of how metadata has become more universal. As the guardians of information in the modern age, we must be on the ball with making it more accessible. This means becoming more and more familiar with creating and using metadata. With a stronger structure in place, we will be able to find and distribute information with more ease.

An Overview of the Dublin....
This article provides an interesting case study on how the topincs mentioned above come into play in a real world situation. While I get the gist of what is going on, I find the examples to be rather confusing. I am not very familiar with computer programing, so those figures add to the confusion rather than help me understand. I think that increasing the ease of use of metadata is a good thing, and something that librarians could be in on. Perhaps they make the plans and others execute them?


1 comment:

  1. That Dublin Core article was over my head as well. I think it is mainly for people "in the know"

    ReplyDelete